Armies on Parade Project

Now for another big hobby update!

I have started work on my Armies on Parade board for this year.  I have been wanting to do this for a few years and I am finally doing it.  Like always I can't just dip my foot, I have to dive right in.  I am about 112 hours into the project and I have been meaning to make a post about it but  every spare second has been going to working on it.

 The plan! My daughter decided she wanted to help me plan.  This is probably the first terrain project that I haven't really planned out crazy in depth.  I have an image in my head and I am just kind of working towards it.

The boring concept (you can scroll down to more pics if you want): So pretty much I wanted my siege Death Guard to actually be in a siege, with mud and green goop.  As I worked on ideas and tried to find some inspiration I just kind of floundered.  With Armies on Parade not to far off, buying a house (which I'll be moving to at the end of September), and work I really had no time to sit around aimless.  So I thought to myself who would be the scariest people to siege which then I remembered the Megarachnids from the planet Murder.  Those things are scary and brutal, enter the perfect people to siege!  But I had to be a special snowflake (kind of) and my enemy will be Tyranids.  Wait, they weren't around in the heresy or pre-heresy era!  So I have decided my Tyranids (now called Ariopods) are an early incarnation of Tyranids.  Trapped on the planet of Arion when the previous inhabitants of the planet decided to nuke everything.  Destroying themselves and locking Ariopods in system until more biomass arrived... Enter Death Guard fleet!  Not detecting much life on the planet (Ariopods in stasis or whatever), they descend to the planet and lay siege to the main hive where most of the life signs are.  Awakening the swarm!  My diorama will take place shortly after the first few shells were lobbed, as the Ariopods begin awakening.

Now for pictures:


The Death Guard trenchline in the making.
A Spartan Assault Tank responds to a collapse in the line, disgorging Mortarion and company into the breach!

The cave still needs a lot more love, I am going to dig out the cave lights (glow worms?) more to add some light to the bottom.  I also plan on using expandable foam and spackling to create a lot of texture in the cave.


Part 2: Ariopods

 Arion is located in the Veiled Region and thus they have some similar markings to what would be seen in the future:
Hive Fleet Leviathan, Early form

I am still trying to figure out the scheme I want to use, in the meantime they are getting a lot of natural variation.  I want them to be colorful yet realistic.  Any tips would be welcome!
The Endless Swarm grows!

This is where I am at. 112 hours into the project since August 6th.  I have built 10 Gargoyles, 40 Hormagaunts, 22 Termagants, and 1 Carnifex.  I have also cleaned 20 rippers for the pools around the capillary towers.  I still have 18 more Termagants to build and then I will be done building the Ariopods.  I am trying to get them built so that way I can start on the groundwork of the board as I plan to sink all of their bases.  Hopefully tomorrow they will all be built.  Adding everything up there should be 111 Ariopods on the board + 3 Capillary Towers and 40 Death Gaurd Models.  My big push is to get the groundwork done this weekend so that way I can focus on painting up the remaining Death Gaurd models, the Ariopods, and the board.  Being able to switch between the 3 I can hopefully avoid burnout.  I can say that at the moment I never want to clean plastic models ever again haha I will be trying to update more frequently as the project rushes forward as a way to help other hobbyists and also as a way to track time and steps for myself.  I will also be throwing out some fluff as I go along to better explain the concept.  I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions!

I will be updating the blog a lot more as the forum that I usually use won't allow xenos content, so I am not going to be updating on there very much at all.  So stay tuned!

Thanks
-Red

Comments